Regular strength training (2-3 times per week) has a multitude of health benefits which include increased confidence, physical strength, and overall fitness. This is not to mention the mental health benefits that come as a result of hitting the weights. Strength training can help you manage or even lose weight, and it can increase your metabolism.
There are 5 key benefits to regular strength training which are:
1. Helps maintain muscle tissue – The more muscle tissue we have the stronger we are. The stronger we are, the easier our lives become. Also, it is never too late to start! You can start when you are young, or when you are older, just get started!
2. Increased strength – This is the key benefit as it can be seen in every aspect of our lives. Everyday tasks become easier. Your problems lose a lot of their power in the face of a heavy leg session – trust me!
3. Improved bone health – Especially important as we all grow a little older. Our bone density naturally decreases as we age, and strength training helps to combat this.
4. Helps control and stabilise body fat levels – Did you know that muscle burns three times the number of calories that fat burns! The greater amount of muscle you have, the less fat you will have.
5. Decreases risk of injury – The stronger you are, the less likely you are to pick up an injury or have a fall. Increased strength will allow your body to be more resistant to general aches and pains, alongside more serious injuries.
More than anything, it will add a different quality to your everyday life, give you more energy and make you feel better. The take home message? Start lifting, pushing, pulling. Start hitting the weights (in a safe manner) and push yourself to improve your lifts week on week, month on month. The results will astound you.
Leave a Reply.